My guess is that the complexity of achieving a fixed standard of play (eg 1 dan) using a global alpha-beta or MC search is an exponential function of the board size. For this guess, I exclude algorithms that have a tactical or local component. If this guess is correct then, even if Moore's law remains in force, this kind of program should not reach dan level on a 19x19 board within 20 years.

To some extent, this is testable today by finding how a global search program's strength scales with board size and with thinking time. For example, results in which Suzie had a week to play a 13x13 game would be interesting.

I don't mean to imply by this message that I think I am particularly well qualified to have an opinion on this matter, but when someone writes something that surprises me, I'm inclined to argue :)

On 13x13 and especially 19x19 Suzie is still weaker than Gnu-Go. I think the hardware is still too weak to establish the same dominance of search for larger board-sizes. But thats only a matter of time or of a few million $ to build (with Chris Fant) a Go-Chip. Actually about 100.000 Euro for an FPGA based project would be sufficient.

Chrilly Donninger