I have updated the BAST paper, providing additional comparison with UCT, as
suggested by one person in the list. See: https://hal.inria.fr/inria-00150207

Basically, in the considered examples, BAST with an appropriate smoothness
sequence performs always better than both UCT and Flat-UCB.
Now, the best smoothness coefficient is always smaller than the constant
corresponding to the true smoothnes of the tree, and sometimes very close to
0 (which corresponds to UCT).
Since go is way more complex than the problem of optimizing a simple 1-d
function, I would say that no theoretical work could predict whether BAST
would do better than UCT or not, in Monte-Carlo-go.

Best, Remi