In case anyone else was interested, yes, the AAAI general game-playing
competition has just started.  You can find instructions to join the mailing
list on the "resources" page at the site (games.stanford.edu) and evidently
the games from the competition are being broadcast "live" online.  If it's
run like last year's competition (which I strongly suspect it is), then
there are several preliminary rounds before the on-site final, with later
rounds weighted more heavily so as not to punish machines that are still
learning in the early rounds when they first face strong competition, so you
could in fact join late with little penalty.  (The tournament director
stated this last point in his response to me.)

It's an interesting field, and I do recommend that people check it out if
they're curious.  It helps push games back towards the realm of "big AI" for
a while.  (Measurable goals tend to fall eventually. ;)  Neat stuff.
-Nick