This discussion reminds me of a naive theory that I sometimes wonder about:

Since the players in the playouts are so weak, it seems like the
improving the ability to defend a strong position from a
not-very-clever move (and not lose it via a blunder) should be more
important than improving the ability to find an attack.  If there are
two equally bad players that can easily attack each other but can't
defend, it seems like the results will be close to random, almost
regardless of starting position, unless it is very strong.  On the
other hand, if two bad players are somewhat better at defense but
lousy at seeing weaknesses in the other side, there will be less noise
and the one with more territory will tend to win, but an attack on a
mostly solid position will sometimes be found via a random move, and
given enough playouts, this will result in the probability of defense
with a weakness being slightly lower than a truly winning position.

It seems like this effect would be especially true of the endgame
where there aren't so many points to take, but a position could be
lost due to a blunder.

I'm not sure how useful that is, since to defend a position you need
to know how it might be attacked, but perhaps it leads somewhere?

- Brian