Yes: log* is to log what log is to division. In other words, it's the number of times you have to take a logarithm before you get down to 1. It's an extremely slowly-growing function.

It's conceivable that actual, empirical time is a better metric than asymptotic time here, because we're not really interested in what happens as the board becomes arbitrarily large.

Peter Drake
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/

On Jul 20, 2007, at 8:24 AM, Jason House wrote:

On 7/20/07, Peter Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Jul 20, 2007, at 8:04 AM, Jason House wrote:

> I thought he was using the disjoint set!  I'll recheck.  Well
> written disjoint sets average out to nearly O(1) operations for
> everything.

Yes -- O(log* n) to be precise, as mentioned in my book, <shameless
plug>Data Structures and Algorithms in Java</shameless plug>.

It's been a while since I was involved with theoretical analysis of disjoint sets, but I'm fairly certain that it's faster than O(log (n)) for some implementations. Do you mean something special by log*?