At 02:58 28/07/2007, Arend wrote:

On 7/26/07, chrilly <<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
This is a remarkable result. I think poker is more difficult than Go and of
course chess.

I am as surprised by this statement as everyone else. Of course you have to develop some mixed strategies, try go guess implied pot odds, folding equity etc. but assuming you have access to a large database of high level poker games to analyze, why should it be that hard, esp. in 2-person limit Hold'em?

Arend

It seems plausible to me that poker should, in some sense, be more complicated than go. I'll ignore the massive savings from clever search tricks in both games. In order to get optimal play in go, it is necessary to search over all legal positions, of which there are fewer than 3^(19^2). In order to get optimal play (ie a Nash equilibrium) in poker, it is necessary to search over all strategies (of both players). A strategy is a map from your knowledge (the cards you can see and the opponent's bids) to an action. Even if we assume a single round of bidding, the number of strategies for a single player is roughly (no. of actions)^(no.hands * no opponents bids). This is massively higher than the number of go positions.