I agree with all those who say it is important, but there is some precision to be made:

As a player you are as strong as your weakest link because you are punished for your mistakes.

As a programmer you are a strong as your strongest link. You know that mistakes are just mistakes, as long as you can identify them, your program won't do them.

My advice is: Read about advanced strategical concepts (in books, not only sensei) and watch dan players until you understand what they do. Don't worry about your own level. It will increase anyway, but you will still be beaten by players who know less than you but are way more solid.

Understanding dan level play is some orders of magnitude easier than playing dan level.

Jacques.