In your own paper you say:

"At the 19x19 level, Monte Carlo programs are now at the level of the
strongest traditional programs."
[https://webdisk.lclark.edu/drake/publications/GAMEON-07-drake.pdf]

And MC programs are more scalable that traditional programs.  That
seems like some evidence that it can or will.  Especially given that
the current techniques are still so young.