I have lurked here for a long time, I find this newsletter very interesting, because I play Go, I am not a programmer. I agree with everything Mr Foltand had to say, but would like to add a small bit about IGS ranks. A few years ago, IGS changed its ranking system so as to anchor from the top, ie a 9d on IGS was a 9d pro, making it the closest to "real world" rankings. I think the strength of IGS ranks has slipped a bit since cyberoro came online, but is still probably closest to "real world" ranks. I would suggest not using AGA or KGS or any other ranking system for establishing your CGOS ranks, recruit some IGS players with solid (over 100 rated games) ranks, and have them play with your various engines.

back to lurking,
Michael

David Fotland wrote:
I think AGA and KGS are pretty close.  AGA is a "real" rating system in that
ratings are earned in sanctioned tournaments so they are not disrupted by
casual games. http://www.usgo.org/ratings/default.html
European ratings (also from tournaments) are perhaps 2 stones tougher.  Many
think they are more reasonable, since most feel the top of the amateur
rating should be 7 dan or lower, and top AGA ratings are higher than that.
Top pros that have participated in AGA tournaments have ratings about 10
dan, and there are many amateur 8 dans.

Japanese ratings are less tough.  Japanese amateur ratings can be purchased,
with a test, so there has been inflation, and I don't think there is a
national rating organization like in USA and Europe.
Korean and Chinese are very tough, since they think a 1 dan amateur should
be close to professional strength.

So, I'm AGA 3 dan, but I would have a tough time playing as a 1 dan in
Europe, and I play at 4 dan in clubs in Japan.

I tried playing in a club as 3 dan in China once, and got totally crushed.

My preference would be a scale that is fixed at the top, with 9 dan pros at
9 dan.  This would put 1 dan pros at about 7 dan and top amateurs at 6 dan,
with a few 7 dans.  This is pretty close to the European scale.  Top
tournament pros almost never lose to pro 1 dans, so there are 300 or more
ELO points between the top amateurs and the top professionals.

So perhaps top human play is 3500 or more on the cgos 19x19 scale.  That's
12 ranks above 2000, with the higher ranks having more ELO points per rank.

David