In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Russ Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
A couple of technical nitpick questions:

On Jan 23, 2008 5:57 AM, David Fotland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Since the komi contains a half point, there should be almost no ties,

How should there be "almost no" ties, instead of "no" ties, with the
half point in the komi?  (Or are you thinking of rulesets that award
half-points for seki situations and such?)

I know of no current rule set that assigns fractions of points in sekis, except to assign half a point to each player (which still results in an integer when you subtract one player's score from the other). The SST (Ing) rules used to assign other fractions, but do not now do so. I am not aware of a position under old SST rules such that the score difference could end up as exactly half a point, but there may be one.

However, some rule sets treat a game that enters an infinite cycle as a draw. Current Chinese rules, as applied in Chinese professional events, are like this.

Nick

between two perfect players, one color will always win by half a point.

Is this actually provably true in the mathematical sense?  I agree it
has intuitive appeal, but on the face of it, it seems possible that a
"perfectly" played game could involve a fight over a big dragon,
resulting in a large score difference.  "Perfect" play on very small
boards doesn't always result in very close final scores, right?

Maybe part of the problem is I'm not 100% sure what "perfect" play
means for a player who loses. :)

cheers
russ