Yes, you do need to factor in the cost of the OS. I have an official version of Windows XP, I haven't heard much good about Vista. I believe it costs something like $150 when buying separate. It's not exactly free when buying a PC either, of course. Yes, they do try to limit using it on only one computer.

Cost-of-ownership is different for everyone of course, but despite Linux being free it never seemed worth it to me.

Mark