> Do you believe that they will play the 90% move if they are told they
> are not really down 9 stones?

I just did a quick test of Mogo in that same position (black E5, white
E3). (After switching off its opening book, which ironically instantly
plays the same black 3 F4 move I just said was bad.)

At komi 7.5 it starts off liking E4 at 100,000 playouts, then switches
to F3 (the keima attach) at 260,000 playouts, and sticks with F3 until
the end (1.3 million playouts) with 49% confidence at the end.

(F3 is a good move.)

At komi 3.5 it starts with F3 this time, then at 190,000 playouts
switches to D3 (the symmetrical move!) and sticks with that (1.4 million
playouts, 55% confidence).

At komi 0.5 it choose C5 (the whole way, except for a period of
preferring G5, the symmetrical move), 60% confidence.

(C5 is also a strong move, but I'd personally prefer F3 or E7.)

So, in that very small experiment, faking komi chooses different moves,
but they are probably equally good.

Darren

http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (English-Japanese-German-Chinese-Arabic
                        open source dictionary/semantic network)
http://darrendev.blogspot.com/ (blog on php, flash, i18n, linux, ...)