In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
I've asked this question of a couple of people and got different answers, so I thought I'd check here.

Suppose, under Japanese rules, I throw a (hopeless) stone into your territory. I keep passing until you've actually removed it (playing four stones inside your own territory, thus losing a net three points). If you try to pass as well, I stubbornly insist that the stone is alive, thus restarting the game.

Your stubborn insistence does not cause a restart of the game (a "resumption", article 9.3). It causes a confirmation phase (article 10.4), which is unwound after its result has been found.

Nick

What prevents this sort of abuse? Is this one of those cases where the tournament director has to adjudicate?

(This is not a problem under Chinese or AGA rules.)

Peter Drake
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/