On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Mark Boon <tesujisoftw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2009, at 11:29 AM, Erik van der Werf wrote:
>> Something else for the discussion. I would like to have a rule about
>> mandatory displaying the thinking process of the program so that both
>> operators have an idea of what is happening. Especially for remote
>> play I think this is needed because now it is just too trivial to
>> cheat.
>
> Do you want this just for 'remote' programs, or any program?

Preferably any, but I'm naturally more suspicious of programs that
play remotely :-)

Currently the rule is that logs must be made available to the TD on
request when there is a suspicion. However, it is hard to be precise
when no information is displayed during the game.

> What if the 'thinking process' is nothing intelligible for anyone else? Do
> we want to restrict programs made according to certain specifications which
> include that the thinking process is understandable?

Well, most programs can in principle display the move they are
currently considering best, and usually also a principal variation,
winning probability, etc.

When a program is radically different from anything else, cannot show
any intermediate results, and a conflict arises, then the author will
probably have to try to convince the TD, for example by showing the
source code.

> I don't know what the situation currently is in computer-Go, but I don't
> think the stakes are high enough to go over the trouble of cheating through
> a remote program (it's quite a lot of work). I have been accused of cheating
> once, but it was a rare thing to happen.

With programs playing on KGS cheating is easy.

Also, I think the stakes are increasing because we are now getting in
the low amateur dan-levels.

Erik