On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Jason House <jason.james.ho...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I took a serious look at Fuego a few months back. The code appeared to use
> modern C++ libraries, but also showed its age/lineage. If I remember right,
> the Fuego source comes with 3 projects that all depend on each other. I
> didn't check the licences in all them. Initially, I nievely assumed I'd only
> need the Fuego project.
>
> My goal at that time was to create a simple file that would create a board,
> figure out a weighted list of moves, and run playouts... Something simple
> enough that could be use by a 1ply searcher. I moved on to using another
> project.
>
> How would I do that with Fuego? Are there any documents on high level
> design?

I went back to take another look and here are some of the things I'm
noticing immediately:

   - There's both a go and gouct directory.  They share many of the same
   file names (after removing the path-dependent name mangling such as
   GoBoard.cpp and GoUctBoard.cpp).  One would guess that the gouct directory
   would take precedent.
   - GoUctPlayoutPolicy.h includes GoUctGlobalSearch.h which includes
   GoBoard.h???  This obviously conflicts with the first conclusion.  Maybe
   GoUctBoard is just dead code and GoBoard is the file to use?
   - GoUctGlobalSearch.h also include GoUctSearch.h which includes both
   GoBoard.h and GoUctBoard.h.  Again, another conclusion gone bad.
   - GoBoard.h includes SgBoardConst.h, which hides in smartgame.  There's
   tons of other references to Sg stuff throughout the code.  What is smartgame
   anyway?

The fun could continue from there, but I don't really feel like going
further.  I hope that's enough to help with initial impressions for new
developers.