________________________________
From: "dhillism...@netscape.net" <dhillism...@netscape.net>

> Perhaps the biggest problem came from an unexpected quarter. MC playouts are
> very fast and neural nets are a bit slow. (I am talking about the forward
> pass, not the off-line training.) In the short time it took to feed a board
> position to my net and get the results, I could have run enough MC playouts
> to obtain a better estimate of the ownership map. :/

Would GPUs be better suited to neural nets than to MC playouts? If so, would
this tilt the playing field in favor of neural nets on GPUs,. giving them an
advantage over MC on  relatively fewer general-purpose CPUs? A GPU with
hundreds of shaders is relatively cheap compared to even a handful of x86
processors.

The same argument may apply to other forms of classification which map well to
GPUs.