Please take the ensuing rules argument/discussion off-list. The last ko rules discussion resulted in way too many e-mails in everyone's inbox.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 14, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Robert Jasiek <jas...@snafu.de> wrote:

Richard Brown wrote:
And what is the _reason_ to leave out the information of whose turn it is?
Elegant, but not a _rationale_.

One can do two basic things with information: use it or ignore it. Unless we set other principles as a context, we cannot judge which of the two is better.

You advocate using information. At the same time, you ignore a lot of information. You ignore much more than you use. Why? And why then do you advocate on using a particular piece of information but not the other available information as well? Which additional information? The sequence of situations, which are the combination of a position and a player having the turn, since the first occurrence of a position / situation about to be recreated. We do not want to use that much information - rather we want to leave out quite some information. There is a rationale behind leaving out also the who-has-the-turn information (e.g., having the minimal rule that works like a superko rule) and there is a rationale behind not leaving out it (e.g., endless recycling of
alternating moves is expressed more easily as multiples of situational
cycles). But this does not answer yet why you consider it better to also
consider the turn.

It is a ko rule that depends on one type of information only: The colour
of each intersection.
And what is the _reason_ to leave out the very pertinent information
of whose turn it is?
No _rationale_ for that.

It is, e.g., to have the minimal rule that works like a superko rule. Or: To have that variant of a superko rule that by far most go players
that have heard about superko imagine as the superko rule.

And... Oh, never mind, of course you must be right. You're the expert.

Being an expert does not replace the necessity of providing reasons. Not being an expert is not a good excuse for not providing reasons, either.

Also you emphasize rationale, so we should exchange not just opinions
but reasons.

To offer an on-topic reason: positional superko requires less storage
and execution time than situational superko.

--
robert jasiek