[computer-go] COGS bug in Ko detection?
work on Hanezeki had been mentioned here ...

Terry McIntyre <terrymcint...@yahoo.com>

> Robert, your reference to hane-seki, also called hanezeki,
> was new to me, so I did a bit of googling. My head is now
> spinning; I figure that any program which embodies the
> knowledge in the following paper should be quite interesting:

> http://www.goban.demon.co.uk/go/seki/hanezeki/hanezeki_abstract.pdf

0) That paper has got at least one omission of which I am
   aware -- it fails to analyse configurations including
   "bulky 7", which can/will lead to kos!

1) There is something similar (both players lose points if they
   capture first), but simpler:  a seki in which 2 opposing
   groups can each capture a dead shape (nakade) of the same
   size, but do not want to.

2) There is also something similar, but more complicated --
   I call it (Mutual, Immediate) Capture and Delayed Recapture
   (CDR).  I discuss CDR briefly in a paper that gives an
   overview of Seki, and the research still to be done:

   This paper was given at the International Conference on Baduk,
   in October 2005, and was published in the Korean Journal of
   Baduk Studies:

http://www.earticle.net/Search/Open/ArticleView.aspx?view=MgAxADcAOQAyAA==

   It is available via my web-site:

  http://www.goban.demon.co.uk/go/seki/overview/overview.html

It is _possible_, though I believe extremely unlikely, that
there exists a "one-sided" predecessor version of (Mutual,
Immediate) Capture and Delayed Recapture, such that only one
of the players can sensibly initiate play, and when they do
it becomes a "normal" (Mutual, Immediate) Capture and Delayed
Recapture!  :-(

I do not know if any of this affects your concerns about kos.

Regards

Harry