Plus, they are both made out of the same stuff so one would expect them to
scale at about the same rate.

Mark Boon wrote:
I'm a bit late reading this thread and the discussion seems to have
veered from the original topic a bit.

As to the CPU vs. memory discussion, it's not so clear-cut to me that
CPU speeds are improving faster than memory. Twenty years ago you had
CPUs in the 4-8Mhz range and around 1Mb of memory. Today both are
about 1000 times higher. CPU speeds are not necessarily only
represented by hertz of course, but both CPU and memory seemed to have
progressed with roughly the same speed.

The thing is, they don't progress evenly. So maybe at the moment CPUs
are going a bit faster than memory. But this could be temporary, not
necessarily a sustainable trend. Also, CPU speeds of a single
processor has stalled for a few years now. Using multiple CPUs or
cores you get easy doubles by going to two and four. But it also gets
more and more expensive. And doubling the CPUs doesn't double the
power really.

A bit over ten years ago we made a tsume-go program using PN search.
There we also had problems keeping the tree in memory, so we designed
a tree-structure that would automatically swap part of the tree out to
disk. But after that there was a period that this code seemed to have
become superfluous, as memory suddenly became abundant. If we now have
a memory shortage with respect to CPU power it's quite possible this
is something cyclical.

Mark