On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Mark Boon <tesujisoftw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I started to write something on this subject a while ago but it got
> caught up in other things I had to do.
>
> When humans play a (high) handicap game, they don't estimate a high
> winning percentage for the weaker player. They'll consider it to be
> more or less 50-50. So to adjust the komi at the beginning of the game
> such that the winning percentage becomes 50% seems a very reasonable
> idea to me. This is what humans do too, they'll assume the stronger
> player will be able to catch up a certain number of points to overcome
> the handicap.

I disagree about this being what humans do.   They do not set a fake komi
and then try to win only by that much.

I think their model is somewhat incremental, trying to win a bit at a time
but I'm quite convinced that they won't just let the opponent consolidate
like MCTS does.   With dynamic komi the program will STILL just try to
consolidate and not care about what his opponent does.   But strong players
will know that letting your opponent consolidate is not going to work.    So
they will keep things complicated and challenge their weaker opponents
everywhere that is important.

- Don