On Sep 28, 2009, at 7:30 AM, Petr Baudis <pa...@ucw.cz> wrote:

 Hi!

 Pachi has two RAVE/AMAF modes - in one, it counts as RAVE wins only
moves made by the player further down in the tree. In the other, it also
counts in the moves made in the playout phase.

 I think most people collect AMAF statistics only from the tree phase,
at least that's what I've been told.

I've never heard that. I've had success using Don Dailey's recommendations:
• Don't track the last 1/8 of the playout
• Only track which color played on a particular vertex first

This has worked up through at least 50k simulations per move on 9x9. Your mileage may vary, my bot is much weaker than yours.