> Yours is not a proof because what follows is not just a single move
> of value x but a game tree of moves of various sizes,

So let me try to be more precise.

Assume a 19x19 no-handicap game played by perfect players with
New Zealand rules with komi k. k is chosen as the largest value N+0.5
(with N integer) which guarantees a win by black.  k exists because
with New Zealand rules the game is finite.  Black cannot win by an
infinite amount of points, so there is an upper bound for k, therefore
k exists.

Now give the choice to black to either play the first move, or pass
and receive x extra points, x constrained to be an integer.  Let m be
the smallest value of x that black will accept to pass instead of
playing, and still be sure of winning. m exists because the game is
finite, and black being perfect can determine m exactly.

m is my definition of the value of the first move. I am not attempting
to define the value of subsequent moves, and not assuming that these
values decrease constantly. I am only interested in the relation
between m and k.

If black passes, black has m points, white has k points, white to
play. White playing perfectly for maximum score will lose by exactly
0.5 point. If white is given one extra point, white would be exactly
in the position that black was at initially: next to play and
guaranteed to win by 0.5. The player next to move on the empty board
and with a guaranteed 0.5 win has a cash deficit of k points in the
first case (black to play) and m-(k+1) points in the other (black
passed and white to play).  So k = m-(k+1) or m = 2*k+1.

Again the above analysis only considers the game theoretical value of
the empty board, not any subsequent position.  I welcome any
correction if there is a flaw in my reasoning (which is quite
possible).

Jean-loup