Hello Don,
several very good points by you!

> Does anyone have data based on several thousands games
> that attempts to measure the effect of dynamic komi?
> I would like to see results that are statistically meaningful.

I had eight handplayed (4 + 4) games on 19x19 with very
high handicap, where the version with dynamic komi (rule 42)
gained a 3-1 score and the version with static komi
performed 0-4 versus the same opponent. This is evidence
in the 95% region that the version with dynamic komi is
not weaker than the static version.

> We need to see a few thousand games played

A few hundreds or even a few dozens may be sufficient when
the outcome is very clear.

> against a fixed opponent WITH dynamic komi, and
> then the same program without dyanmic komi playing
> against the same opponent with the same number
> of games.   The number of games must be decided before
> the test is run, or the error margin calculation is
> meaningless.

I am willing to provide the statistical part, when programmers
run the experiments.

> As far as I can tell, nobody has yet to produce anything more
> than anecdotal evidence that this works.

I have. See the 4 + 4 games mentioned above,
played with my "rule 42".

> Having a person manually adjusting this after every game is
> completely non-sceientific, unless they are doing it in a fixed
> way with no decision making on their part

Right.

> and they are playing thousands of games (or at least
> enough to get statistically significant results.)

Right, especially also the bracket part of your sentence.

> I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade,  but I cannot
> understand why no one has produced a statistically meaningful
> result on this subject -

I would have. Unfortunately I am not a programmer, and am also
not fit in modifying a program code to include dynamic komi.

But, to repeat it, I am willing to do statistical home
work.

> I am genuinely interested in this since I never was able to
> make it work when I spent about one intense week on it.
> (I did not do this with handicap games, but with normal games.)

Your sentence in brackets is crucial. I only proposed to use
dynamic komi in games with high handicap. Especially I had in
mind the situation where the stronger side (giving high handicap)
is MC-based.

Perhaps, 9x9 instead of 19x19 makes it easier for some programmer
to start test series with dynamic komi.

Ingo.

jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser