> The word covered by the speaker's head is "self".  Bot results in
> self-play are always(?) massively exaggerated.  It's not uncommon to see
> a 75% self-play winrate in selfplay to translate to 52% winrate against
> a third-party reference opponent.  c.f. fig 7&8 in
> http://pasky.or.cz/go/pachi-tr.pdf . Intuitively, I'd expect the effect
> to be less pronounced with very strong programs, but we don't know
> anything precise about the mechanics here and experiments are difficult.

Note that recently for Crazy Stone and Zen improvements in self-play also
transferred to playing strength against human players. According to Remi
and Hideki, Crazy Stone and Zen are both >=80% stronger with a policy net
and they both reach 7d on KGS (1 stone stronger).

But generally I agree that we should be cautious about self-play results.

Aja

It's no doubt today's AlphaGo is much stronger than the Nature version.