Hi Petr,

"Petr Baudis" <pa...@ucw.cz>
> (I also think that it's algorithmically a lot more complicated to build
> these analysis tools for Go, for example adding a good tsumego solver to
> your program.

It is not necessary to wait for a strong tsumego solver before
spreading a nice analysis tool. Start with what you have and
add new "modules" when they become available. (That is also
the way, ChessBase did it.)

> > ... currently there is also no good analysis software in the Asian market.
>
> But you need to do marketing, write documentation, user interface,
> recruit pro players...

Right. And finding a strong pro as a PR locomotive should be one of the
first steps.
By the way: I started this thread not with the intention to force for instance
Rémi
into such a project, but I had in mind mainly suitable people from Japan or
Korea.
(I hope at leaast some of them are reading this.)

> ... And most importantly, talk to the users, spread the word
> and hear feedback.

Right. That is exactly what ChessBase started to provide in the late 1980's for
Chess. "We" need a company in particular dedicated to Go software, not one
like Unbalance where computer Go is sort of a fifth wheel.

>  I don't think it pays off to target western market primarily in Go.

Fully agreed.
Make a nice Japanese or Korean Go analysis program available, and everything
else will come by itself (including me learning Japanese or Korean language :-).

> ... you must come from East Asia, or have a local company as a distributor.

The success of ChessBase was that they were not existing already but were
created only for the Chess software field.

> (If I take a model example of CrazyStone as a program crossing the
> barrier I mentioned, it uses a local producer to do the marketing and
> distribution.

with the problem: Unbalance is not specialized in computer Go. They even
seem to have problems to understand what analysis in Go is.

> ... This is *not meant as a criticism* of Remi,
> ...  For a Western programmer, trying to enter East
> Asian markets as the "Matthias Wuellenweber" of Go, you need to find
> your "Frederic Friedel" as a true partner fluent in that geo area,
> which is challenging.

Fully agreed. A Frederic Friedel for Go is needed - and he has to "activate"
suitable top pro players.

As a wrote in the German computer Go forum: on some days I regret that
Go is not a Western game.

Ingo.