1) triumphed over a particular boardgame, perhaps.

2) this has been true since the early days of Monte Carlo go bots -- it
tends to result in a higher winning probability when the focus is on...
winning probability. People have tried to make bots that focus on points
instead, but trying to win by more than komi usually results in a weaker
bot. Others can detail their experiments for you and have here at length.

s.