I suggest scaling down the problem until some experience is gained.

You don't need the full-fledge 40-block network to get started. You can
probably get away with using only 20 blocks and maybe 128 features (from
256). That should save you about a factor of 8, plus you can use larger
mini-batches.

You can also start with 9x9 go. That way games are shorter, and you
probably don't need 1600 network evaluations per move to do well.

Álvaro.