You can believe
>Of what I understand same network architecture imply the same number of
>block
but David Silver told AlphaGo Master used 40 layers in
May.
http://www.bestchinanews.com/Science-Technology/10371.html
# The paper was submitted in April.

Usually, network "architecture" does not imply the number of
layers whereas "configulation" may do.

Clearly they made 40 layers version first because it's
called "1st instance" where the 80 layers one is called "2nd
instance."  The 1st was trained 3 days and overtook AlphaGo
Lee.  Then they changed to the 2nd.  Awaring this fact, and
watching the growing curve of the 1st, I guess 40 layers was
not enough to reach AlphaGo Master level and so they
doubled the layers.

Hideki

Xavier Combelle: <1550c907-8b96-e4ea-1f5e-2344f394b...@gmail.com>:
>As I understand the paper they directly created alphago zero with a 40
>block

>setup.

>They just made a reduced 20 block setup to compare on kifu prediction

>(as far as I searched in the paper, it is the only

>place where they mention the 20 block setup)

>They specifically mention comparing several version of their software.

>with various parameter

>If the number of block was an important parameter I hope they would

>mention it.

>Of course they are a lot of things that they try and failed and we will

>not know about

>But I have hard time to believe that alphago zero with a 20 block is one

>of them

>About the paper, there is no mention of the number of block of master:

>"AlphaGo Master is the program that defeated top human players by 60–0

>in January, 2017 34 .

>It was previously unpublished but uses the same neural network

>architecture, reinforcement

>learning algorithm, and MCTS algorithm as described in this paper.

>However, it uses the

>same handcrafted features and rollouts as AlphaGo Lee

>and training was initialised by

>supervised learning from human data."

>Of what I understand same network architecture imply the same number of

>block

>Le 25/10/2017 à 17:58, Xavier Combelle a écrit :

>> I understand better

>> Le 25/10/2017 à 04:28, Hideki Kato a écrit :

>>> Are you thinking the 1st instance could reach Master level

>>> if giving more training days?

>>> I don't think so.  The performance would be stopping

>>> improving at 3 days.  If not, why they built the 2nd

>>> instance?

>>> Best,

>>> Hideki

Hideki Kato <mailto:hideki_ka...@ybb.ne.jp>