On 15-11-17 10:51, Petri Pitkanen wrote:
> I think the intereseting question left now is: How strong GO-program one
> can have in normal Laptop? TPU and GPU are fine for showing what can be
> done but as practical tool for a go player the bot  has to run something
> people can afford. And can buy from shop? From KGS 100 list I can spot
> 8d bots but I do not know how big HW they are using.
>
> Could todays laptop with best possible SW beat best humans?

What does "best possible SW" mean? The one that isn't written yet? :-)

Zero was reportedly very strong with 4 TPU. If we say 1 TPU = 1 GTX 1080
Ti the Elo loss from the slowdown from 4 to 1 would still make it far
stronger than the best humans.

As for things that are available right now:

The latest Zen is very strong even without a GPU.

My bot was 8d on KGS with a GTX 1080 Ti and a Ryzen 1700 (roughly ~1000
USD hardware). I don't run on KGS anymore but people from Tygem told me
it is equal to lower ranked pros there, on a smaller system.

You can get very strong software right now, but nothing will change the
fact that better hardware always helps. The difference between a laptop
and a desktop with a real GPU will always be there.

--
GCP