In my experience people who are first taught variant a) and after a short while
move on to b) remain overly fixated on capturing and are much slower to grasp
the real game. So in this case I would argue that people really do have trouble
unlearning when the games are too close … particularly when the first variant
has such a simple and expected goal that must be deprecated to be able to move
from b) to c).

Cheers,
David G Doshay

ddos...@mac.com