The chess result is 64-36: a 100 rating point edge! I think the Stockfish open
source project improved Stockfish by ~20 rating points in the last year. Given
the number of people/computers involved, Stockfish’s annual effort level seems
comparable to the AZ effort.

Stockfish is really, really tweaked out to do exactly what it does. It is very
hard to improve anything about Stockfish. To be clear: I am not disparaging the
code or people or project in any way. The code is great, people are great,
project is great. It is really easy to work on Stockfish, but very hard to make
progress given the extraordinarily fine balance of resources that already
exists.  I tried hard for about 6 months last year without any successes. I
tried dozens (maybe 100?) experiments, including several that were motivated by
automated tuning or automated searching for opportunities. No luck.

AZ would dominate the current TCEC. Stockfish didn’t lose a game in the
semi-final, failing to make the final because of too many draws against the
weaker players.

The Stockfish team will have some self-examination going forward for sure. I
wonder what they will decide to do.

I hope this isn’t the last we see of these DeepMind programs.