In the old days I trained separate move predictors on 9x9 games and on
19x19 games. In my case, the ones trained on 19x19 games beat the ones
trained on 9x9 games also on the 9x9 board. Perhaps it was just because of
was having better data from 19x19, but I thought it was interesting to see
that the 19x19 predictor generalized well to smaller boards.

I suppose the result you see can easily be explained; the big board policy
learns about large scale and small scale fights, while the small board
policy doesn't know anything about large scale fights.

BR,
Erik