Great thesis.  Many Faces also uses rule-based playouts, so Pachi is not the
only rule-based strong program.

You mention that in the playouts you check ataris and extensions to avoid
growing a losing ladder.  Do you do a full ladder search, or just some local
heuristics?  Many Faces does not have any ladder search in the playouts.

David