We are dealing with a quantity (the score difference) which can be
positive or negative, so neither square root nor log are very natural
functions to use.

If you want diminishing returns, here's a better way to do it: Give
each player 1/(1+exp(-K*score)) points. As K goes to infinity this
converges to the usual loss=0, draw=1/2, win=1. As K goes to 0 it
becomes linear. Also the sum of points awarded to both players is 1,
which is kind of a nice property to maintain.

However, it is unclear what exactly they are trying to achieve, so I
can't really suggest a particular function to use.