2012/8/10 Mark Boon <tesujisoftw...@gmail.com>

> It's hard to find people at age 20 or 30 to start to devote their life
> to something new. But it does happen on occasion. About 10 years ago
> there was someone like that at the Amsterdam Go Club. Strong chess
> player. Well over 30, unemployed I believe, who spent day and night
> studying Go and playing online. At the time I told him the same I have
> been saying here. But he didn't believe me. I think some 2 years later
> he was 1-dan, which was already very promising. But I think becoming
> 2-dan then took another two years. I don't know what happened after
> that, but I believe he got stuck at 2 or 3 dan.
>
> Mark

Age has an impact for sure. In learning new skill there is myelin involved.
Last time person gets bigger influx of myelin is around 30's. So up to taht
learning skill should be quite doable. But doable does not mean easy.
Proper training is hard and annoying. I do not know what is best way to
train for go, but one thing dor sure it will not involve huge amount of
playing go, obviously that will not hurt but that cannot be the best way. I
and I do doubt if best method is well known at all.

In one of the best music schools i read about had a good definition: If
passer by can tell what song what was played by practising
violin/cello/whatever player, then that is NOT practising.

So 10000 hours for person about 10-20 year of age, maybe 20 000 for 30's,
not doable in 50's. At around 50 person start lose myelin at the rate he
gets new. UNless you do try to learn something new. But yes learning is
more tedious but there are no hard limits. Soft limits will get hard enough
though.

PP