I did exactly this experiment with Oakfoam and I termed the potential
loss of strength, given a fixed number of playouts and a different
amount of parallel hardware, the "parallel effect." You can look at my
work on parallelisation here:
http://leafcloud.com/publications/mcts-parallelisation/ and
http://leafcloud.com/publications/igs-talk-2012

I found that while root parallelisation can scale well, it was not
close to the scaling of tree parallelisation for multi-core systems.
--
Francois van Niekerk
Email: flash.sl...@gmail.com | Twitter: @francoisvn