I personally believe that there is nothing particularly ideal about 19x19
and that the size of the board is based on the preferences of the masters
of years gone by.

I get the impression that the only reason it's not bigger than 19x19 is due
to practical considerations,  it just takes longer and longer to play a
game as the board gets bigger.    One thing I don't like about go is that
you must play each move very rapidly to have a game that does not take all
day.    So it's more of a right brain game.    Bigger than 19x19 just adds
even more emphasis to the strategic nature of the game and that is what the
top players wanted.

But one thing that I have come to appreciate is that even 7x7 is
non-trivial.    7x7 is too small to have a good game that will not always
end with the same score but you can construct problems that are profound.
  9x9 is already big enough to present a game that cannot be mastered.

My personal favorite size is 11x11,   a size nobody cares about.   After
getting a little experience focused on 9x9 for go programming I can see
that 11x11 is a nice step above 9x9 and chess and would present a nice
balance between strategy and tactics.    It's actually a huge jump up from
9x9 and I prefer economy.

19x19 is just too much and it takes forever to play a game unless you play
blitz speed.      This is why they have had to invent convoluted and
complex time controls to accommodate this game.

Don