Robert Jasiek asked:
> In this paper, does "semeai" stand for "one of 'capturing race',
> 'unsettled life and death situation', 'basic ko fight', 'multiple ko
> fight', 'ladder breaking' 'etc.'"?

It stands for "localizing multiple peaks" in a histogram of
many playouts.

Have a look at
http://www.althofer.de/crazy-shadows.html

In the s econd block, at move 138, you see two peaks.
They come from a local fight. In the right peak are those
games collected where Black won the fight, in the left peak
White was that winner.

> Is the identification of a cluster proven only with stochastic
> probability,

Of course, it is a Monte Carlo "proof" only: it is based on
the outcomes of the random playouts.

> How do the methods affect simulations runtime?

Not this much when I interpret the algorithm(s) correctly.
(The Paderborn guys have no problems at all with this. They
have massive parallel machines, but problems with the speedup
when more than 32 processors are in team work...)

*****************************
Let me use the opportunity to propose another wish for a feature:
At the end of a playout, typically the neutral (Seki) points
are recognized correctly. For me as a user it would be nice
when a commercial bot (CrazyStone or Zen or ManyFaces or
MyGoFriend or ...) would be able to show "Seki clouds", i.e., marking
those points which are frequently Seki points.

Ingo.

Ps. Sorry for writing this as a new message. But for months
already I do not receive the mails from the list, and
an attempt to register from another mailing address failed.