>I have a Dell E510 (a year old) that I'm very happy with. Dell's E520
>seems to be a direct update of mine and I believe it has everything he
>wants (big HDD, lots of RAM, built-in networking card, CD/DVD-RW,
>[duo-core processing -- I recommended that because it's what I have] and a
>19" flat panel monitor). His previous computer (before the laptop) was a
>Gateway so he asked me to check them -- and it seems Gateway has
>essentially the same machine (DX 430) as the Dell E520 -- but for $699
>instead of $819.

Why do you say "laptop" and "19" flat panel monitor"? If the computer is
being used as a desktop he could save $100s by getting a desktop. Dell
has some great deals that include a 19" flat panel monitor.

I have never heard anything good about Gateway computers. You need to
strike a balance between price and durability. I would not go cheaper
than the Dell. Though I seem to recall that Dell Laptops are a bit on the
too cheap side too.