Best to see what the professors are using. Ask what software they find
the most valuable and make sure she can run that.

My son, with a BFA and MFA in theater and a number of stage productions
to his credit, is a Mac user and is convinced that all the best software
for the stage runs on Macs. I also know someone with a daughter majoring
in stage management (I think at UVA) and her school told her to buy a Mac.

Cost wise, an Apple laptop and a good PC laptop will cost about the same.
The iBook will be more durable because Apple designed it for the K-12
school market. The polycarbonate case is impact resistant.

Laptops tend to break more quickly than desktops because of the way they
are used. So get a service contract for the useful life of the computer
(3 or 4 years, including the standard warrenty period). Having a contract
will also get you better service at the Apple Store so check if there is
one near school. This service can make a big difference in getting the
most out of a computer.