>First of all I bought Vista for my MacBook because there is a specific
>bookkeeping program for my business that is only made for Windows that I'd
>like to use, because Netflix has a new on-line movie viewing option only
>available for Windows and because I anticipate similar situations occurring
>occasionally in the future.

If you just stick to using the bookkeeping program you have very little
exposure.

You will probably find the Netflix on-line movie viewing option to be so
pathetic that it will not be an exposure for long.

So the threat vanishes.

>I don't have a router -- or rather I don't have a hardware router.  My
>iMac's internal AirPort card functions as a software router, using Apple's
>Internet Sharing and Web Sharing.  In other words I can get on line with my
>laptop by wirelessly sharing the Internet connection from my desktop, which
>is wired to the modem, sans extra hardware.

>Am I correct in assuming Apple's internal firewall won't function when the
>machine is running Windows?

The laptop won't have Apple's firewall because you are not running OS X
on it. The desktop will have Apple's firewall, but I don't think that
firewall applies to a shared connection. If your desktop is providing
NAT, then that if giving you basic firewall protection. This would
suffice in most cases. Nevertheless, I would spend the $35 on a router or
for a few dollars more get a WiFi router and simplify your network
topology.