>I could manage without Windows, but why not have it there, just in case?

I used to do that, especially with books, but now books are obsolete and
I'm gradually tossing them. When I toss an obsolete tech book that I
never read that is a waste.

Unlike books which are mostly not dangerous to have around (unless
Homeland Security takes an interest in your reading habits), having
Windows around can be potentially harmful. Would you keep a loaded
shotgun at your front door, "just in case?" Some people would.

The argument for not having Windows and not having that loaded gun is
about the same. It could potentially hurt others. Both the gun and
Windows owner will insist: "I know what I'm doing." Yet the plague of
shootings and the plague of malware would not exist if they were not
around.