-----Original Message-----
From: Computer Guys Announcements and Discussion List
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of b_s-wilk
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 12:51 AM
To: COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] Bees on the Beeb

> More on bees and cellphones: on the BBC News Hour, a discussion about
> colony collapse syndrome and cellphones.  One of the interviewees was
> some kind of officer of Vodaphone, and he didn't think that
> cellphones were involved.  (Quelle surprise.)
>
> Tomorrow (Thursday): more bees on WAMU, on the Diane Rehm show (10:00
> a.m.-noon).  I tried to find out whether bees would be discussed on
> the 10:00 show or the 11:00, but that information wasn't posted on
> the WAMU website.  (You can always listen later on the archives
> section of the website.)
>
> Chances are, the subject of bees and cellphones will come up, sooner
> or later.  I kind of doubt that cellphones were involved--let alone
> the sole cause--but who knows?  They haven't found a cause yet.
> Quite a lot of the food supply depends on bees.  I'd kind of miss
> food, if it weren't around.

I suspect they'll find out that it's a combination of factors: mites,
fungus, pesticides, GM crops, electromagnetism. Lots of people have said

that electricity, sound, microwaves aren't likely suspects, however, I
worked on an experiment many years ago to test whether electromagnetic
fields would affect growth patterns of several varieties of moss. The
moss within the field grew more than twice as high [6"-10"] as those
plants outside the field. However we didn't determine exactly why. Bees
may also be affected. Determining exactly how and why bees are affected
by environmental factors can be done, but remedies may need significant
changes in farm, landscape and forestry practices. I'd miss food, too.
Does cacao need bees?

Podcast URL for Diane Rehm show is
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?s=143441&i
d=160993127