Fred Holmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I suspect that some folks who haven't yet gone to TiVo, etc., use today a DVD recorder in place of the VCR of a few years ago to occasionally record a program they want to keep. DVD-RWs make sense if you plan to re-use the media. Might want to have enough stock to be sure that you always have a blank one when a need suddenly crops up. Don't want to have to decide quickly which disc to re-use.

Why get a TiVo that you have to pay a subscription to use [or a big one-time payment]? I bought the DVD-RWs and paid once. They're already paid for themselves dozens of times--more--compared to the cost of TiVo. It's faster for us to keep track of the DVDs than to search for something on a drive.

--

Steve Rigby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I only perceive the need for rewritables in order to do some testing
that could go bad and ruin disks.  I do sometimes give a client or
two some data on a rewritable CD and get it back later for future
use.

Usually when I burn a DVD in Toast, I create a disk image first [it's in the File menu]. If the image plays OK in the software DVD Player, then I burn it to a real DVD. This is especially important when burning dual layer DVDs that are so expensive.

Doesn't Roxio's Windows software or Nero make disk images? That would eliminate the need for DVD-RWs completely.

Betty