Opera, the browser, has a built in tool for real time monitoring of
your speeds.

I have enjoyed success with an app called "NetPerSec" that gives real
time up/down speeds. I especially like the free app NetStat Live from
Analogx.com (same guy who created DSLReports.com aka
Broadbandreports.com and Internettrafficreport.com). It includes many
configuration options and gives traceroute and ping times for a
designated website. It can provide data in bits or bytes and totals
since last boot, for the current and past month and has a CPU
utilization monitor.

I prefer computer-based monitors over speedtest web sites since the
results from the sites are only as good as the internet traffic at
that instant. The computer based monitors give you average performance
over time.

YMMV

--
'Cosmic giggle'  -  "a randomly roving zone of synchronicity and
statistical anomaly. Should you be caught up in it, it will turn

 - Terence McKenna