On Nov 28, 2007, at 11:15 PM, Tony B wrote:
I've been in the service industry all my life
and we've never charged tax on labor, only parts.

I dunno about Maryland, and actually I dunno about Virginia laws sales tax laws either, but some businesses in Virginia, including the one where I work, charge sales tax on labor. By that I mean that all aspects of a sale are lumped together, both the physical portions of the product as well as the labor required to assemble the product. For instance, if a consumer wants to buy a mirror and have it installed into a frame, they may well be required by the business to pay tax not only on the frame and mirror, but on the assembly charges as well even if the assembly {labor) charges are separately listed on the invoice. I think it is actually not legal to do this, but it is done fairly routinely anyway. When I have raised questions to retailers about this, they have told me that if any hardware is consumed to perform the labor portions of a job, such as screws or bolts, then they are allowed to charge sales tax. I remain skeptical.

  Steve