Time Machine is not really a substitute for a full drive backup. Each
backup strategy has its strong and weak spots. Together they are
complementary. So I'm considering recommending both. With drives so cheap
these days it is worth the small cost to get the added security. If you
have to pick doing one or the other you have to decide which type of
protection is the most likely to be useful in your specific case. I.e.,
individual file loss/corruption vs. total data loss/corruption.