>I think Tom's point was that technology leaves the old stuff behind,
>eventually.  For example, not many computers from the 1980's would be of
>much use today, if one wanted to use that computer to connect to the
>internet.  Many web sites will also become unreadable by the oldest
>browsers, too.  Not a question of fairness, but one of standards and
>capabilities.

Draw a parallel to my DVR. I really love my DVR. I can't imagine watching
TV any other way. My DVR works fine -- probably has years of life in it.
I have a lifetime subscription to the programming service. Yet my DVR
only knows the NTSC standard and NTSC is going away in 14 months. So I am
unhappy about progress too.