-----Original Message-----
From: Computer Guys Announcements and Discussion List
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tom Piwowar
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:12 PM
To: COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] How stable is Excel?

>For nine years, I've been working with two FileMaker Pro databases that
>keep track of several thousand documents (including titles,
>descriptions, categories, authors, etc.).  They've been virtually
>crash-proof and easy to modify.  There are nearly 5,000 records (on
>separate pages) in these databases.

You did not state whether these files were related or just two flat
files. If what you have is a relational database then moving it to Excel

is a very bad idea.

Do your FMP databases do much data validation? This is harder to
implement this in Excel and you will be much more likely to have bad
data
creeping into your database.

You did not mention how many fields each record has and how the user
relates to the information. Is it important to see the contents of many
fields at a glance or is it okay to string them out into long rows. Are
they prepared to put in the labor to create forms? The basic Excel forms

are a bad joke. If they need forms of any complexity MS will quickly
suck
them into Access. So you will be back in a database. Only difference is
that instead of using a good database you will be using a terrible
database.

You did not mention if you have any large text fields. Excel limits
fields to 255 characters, FMP's limit is 65,000.

Do you need to do heavy data analysis on the data in the databases?
Excel
does this better with its graphing and pivot tables.

>Would an excel spreadsheet this size be stable or usable?  Has anyone
>else had experience with databases of this size?

5,000 is not a big number unless there are many fields per record. I
have
made Excel spreadsheets with close to 65,000 rows and almost 200
columns.
Excel was very slow and unstable during data import, but afterwards
settled down and worked just fine.

>And does anyone else have any talking points on why it's a bad idea to
>replace a perfectly reliable, crash-proof database with an Excel
>spreadsheet?

Ultimately the choice depends on how the data is to be used. If is just
big table with a few columns then Excel will do fine. If there are many
fields per record they may soon find themselves hamstrung. They may find

that information that is easy to view with a database query will take
more work to extract in a spreadsheet.

      Thomas Piwowar - Thomas J. Piwowar & Associates, Inc.
          electronic publishing training and consulting
        1710 Rhode Island Ave NW - Washington DC - 20036
 V:202-223-6813 - Fx:202-223-5059 - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - www.tjpa.com
* New address? From OLD address send: CHANGE COMPUTERGUYS-L
YourNewAddress
* RSS at
www.mail-archive.com/computerguys-l@listserv.aol.com/maillist.xml