>I have been told that iPods will not accept podcasts directly but from
>iTunes.  Is that correct?  I would like to be able to download archived
>podcasts that are available on many sites.  What should I be looking for
>in an iPod or similar devise?
>I'm new to this technology.

You are getting your advice from a Zune salesman?

Podcasts are just mp3 files. Just drag them over and play 'em.

However, all this is easier if you do use iTunes and I don't know of any
reason to not use iTunes. In the Advanced menu there is a "Subscribe to
Podcast" item where you can enter the URL of any site from which you
would like to snag a podcast.

Easy.